Monday, March 12, 2012

How to handle events for controls within templates?

I have a FormView control, containing an EditItemTemplate with a dropdown listbox. I want to handle the SelectedIndexChanged event so I can hide or show part of the form...

If I double-click the dropdown to create the event handler, I get the function dropdown1_SelectedIndexChanged()... but without " handles Dropdown1.SelectedIndexChanged"

Obviously the dropdown1 control is inside the EditItemTemplate - but it still generates events? how does one get these?

This is getting frustrating: every time I try to design stuff logically in a componentised way, I get kicked in the teeth with a "gotcha". It was easier using classic ASP and just throwing the html out using Response.Write!!

Hello.

I think that you're using vb.net, right? in c# I don't see any trouble with this. Doesn't something like this work in vb.net:

<asp:DropDownListrunat="server"id="T"OnSelectedIndexChanged="p"AutoPostBack="true">

<asp:ListItemText="1"/>

<asp:ListItemText="2"/>

</asp:DropDownList>

then just define the p method without using the handles (but with the normal parameter list).


Ah, many many hanks: I didn't realise thats how it worked (instead of event-based handling). It so frustrated me last night i turned off the PC and polished off a bottle of wine.

That part works at last!

Now all I need to do is figure out how to control my datasource and formview to tell them to open in edit or insert mode by default (and not select).

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home